Friday, May 3, 2013

My Day Job Doesn't Suck

This time of year is always a stressful time in the mayor's office. The responsibilities I have for my day job escalate to extreme overload as the clock ticks down to the end of another semester at Mooseville University, but Mooseville still has to be managed. It's my civic duty to our great town.

No matter how much I have to do by an increasingly fast-approaching deadline, I still love my day job very much. I'm surrounded by fun, engaged, interesting people who are eager to teach and learn about Mass Communications. Sure there are difficulties every semester, but I enjoy 99% of the things I have to do to earn my keep. The 1% I don't enjoy is grading, which takes up roughly 85% of my time.

Regardless, there's something about preparing for and teaching a course that I enjoy very much. I'm lucky. A lot of people don't have it so good.

A lot of people don't have a day job and many who do hate what they do for a living. They hate it so much it interferes with their nighttime vigilante work. It sucks their energy and dampers their spirits. There's nothing left to give because it took all they had just to drag their ass to work.

In social circles I'm careful not to boast too much about how great my job is, and I'm mindful about complaining about the little irritations, hiccups and annoyances that accompany working in academia. Three out of the five people in the room will have it much worse. When all's said and done, I don't have much to complain about it except that I have small social circles.

No matter what stress this time of year brings, I try to keep it all in perspective. I'm about to wind it down and then I get a break. I plan on working in my garden, grilling out, and watching MOP. I'm also writing some new legislation, and I've got some vacation time coming up. Great Mother, I love the summer.

No comments: